http://healthsavy.com pharmacy-no-rx.net

8 items dogs and cats should not eat

8 Things dogs and cats should not eat

Dogs and cats are curious by nature. That's why it's very important to ensure your pets aren't finding their way into dangerous and potentially life-threatening toxic substances. Here are eight items that you should keep well out of their reach. 

1. Aloe Vera
Aloe is a common house plant that can be used to treat sunburns, bug bites and other skin irritations. However, aloe is toxic to dogs and especially cats if they eat it, according to the Pet Poison Helpline. Aloe contains purgatives that can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even depression. 

2. Chocolate
While a minute amount of chocolate isn't going to do much harm, baker's cocoa and dark chocolate can cause serious heart problems, seizures, gastrointestinal issues and death.

3. Hops
Hops are commonly used to brew beer, and as home brewing has increased in popularity, so has the potential for ingestion by dogs and cats. Eating hops can cause vomiting, anxiety, and has reportedly killed dogs within six hours of ingestion, according to PPH.

4. Marijuana
There is little doubt that marijuana has become a more popular substance in people's homes, but its ingestion or inhalation – even second hand – in dogs and cats can have negative effects. According to the source, these include severe depression, respiratory depression and seizures. 

5. Raisins
Even small amounts of grapes or raisins can cause severe reactions in dogs and cats, including sudden kidney failure, vomiting, diarrhea and halitosis. This also pertains to any products that contain any amount of grapes or raisins. 

6. Onions and garlic
Any members of the onion family can be toxic to dogs and cats, with garlic being the most potent. They can cause weakness, lethargy, abdominal pain and damage to red blood cells in severe cases, according to Veterinary Pet Insurance. 

7. Salt
Salt is found in many different places around the house and it's very bad for dogs and cats. The source said it can cause seizures, excessive fluid buildup in the body, coma and even death. 

8. Ibuprofen 
Though it's present in some medications for dogs and cats, even light overdoses of ibuprofen can cause health problems. Vetstreet reported that a 200 milligram Ibuprofen caplet can be toxic to a cat, causing stomach irritations, vomiting and dehydration. Larger overdoses can cause kidney and liver failure especially in cats and small dogs. 

The first step in poison prevention is knowing what to watch out for and taking proactive measures to remove toxic materials from the reach of pets. If you think your dog or cat has ingested or been exposed to something toxic, consult your veterinarian immediately. 


This content is provided by the pet wellness experts at Hartz. We know that adopting a dog or cat is a huge commitment, so we're here to help you feel confident and become the best pet parent you can be.

Category: Dog Training and Behavior