What to do if your dog consumes chocolate

Follow these tips if your pooch eats chocolate.

Halloween is right around the corner. That means your children will likely be eating more sweets than usual. Because chocolate is extremely harmful for dogs, it's very important to keep it out of its reach at all costs. 

If he does consume the sweet stuff, don't panic. Remain calm and follow these tips:

Call your veterinarian
If you find your pooch eating chocolate, the American Kennel Club suggested calling the vet immediately for advice. He'll likely recommend keeping a close eye on your furry friend and looking out for any symptoms of poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness and increased urination.

Take him to the clinic
If you've already noticed signs of poisoning in your pooch, it's best to take it right into the clinic. Your vet may suggest IV fluid therapy, using hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting or a dose of Hartz® Aspirin Care for Dogs to relieve aches and pains.

This content is provided by the pet experts at Hartz®. Before you invest in a new chew toy, biscuit or treat for your companion, turn to us for top-of-the-line advice and tips.

Category: Dog Training and Behavior